UP Aerospace won’t launch again in 2006

UP Aerospace won’t launch a second rocket from Spaceport America this year because it hasn’t yet figured out what went wrong with the first launch.The company had originally planned several launches before the end of 2006, but when the Sept. 25 launch went awry, those plans were put on hold. The company hasn’t yet figured out what happened, and won’t try another launch until it does.According to the Las Cruces Sun-News, the company has doubled the number of launches it plans in 2008 to make up for this year’s delays.This is another setback for the company and the spaceport. State officials need the data collected from a successful launch to space before they can submit an application for an FAA license. They can’t spend the more than $100 million appropriated last year by the legislature until they have the license.Virgin Galactic isn’t likely to sign a lease until the project moves forward.At the same time, officials don’t want a second, failed launch. Continue Reading

Diaz’s attorney says she will appeal firing

Contrary to a prior news report in the Connecticut Post, fired Las Cruces Public Schools Superintendent Sonia Diaz will appeal her termination, her attorney, Larry White, told the Las Cruces Sun-News today.The Post quoted Diaz last week as saying she has “a lot of options” for what she’ll do next and she doesn’t plan to appeal her firing.In addition to saying she will appeal, White told the Sun-News he’s still awaiting formal notice from the district of Diaz’s firing. Once that is received, state law gives Diaz 20 days to appeal.The school board meets later today in closed session to begin discussing the appointment of an interim superintendent, but its members don’t expect to appoint one today, according to a separate article in the Sun-News. In the meantime, Elizabeth Marrufo remains the administrator in charge of the district.The public meeting of the school board begins at 6:30 p.m. at the administration building, 505 South Main Street. Continue Reading

Martinez seeking support for Lujan ouster

House Majority Leader Ken Martinez is seeking support for a bid to unseat Speaker Ben Lujan.Before I go any further, kudos to Joe Monahan for reporting this before me. We’ve both been talking with people about it for days, but he found sources before I did who were willing to be quoted, albeit anonymously.When House Democrats meet Dec. 18, Martinez will need 22 of 42 votes to unseat Lujan. Even then, there won’t be certainty. Technically, the entire House votes to elect a speaker on the first day of the session. Continue Reading

Missouri columnist touts Richardson for president

A columnist in a small city in Missouri is giving a boost to the potential presidential campaign of N.M. Gov. Bill Richardson.Bill Clark, who writes a regular column for the Columbia Daily Tribune, wrote in his most recent column that Richardson, “more than any candidate in either party, is qualified to lead our nation for the next eight years.”Columbia, according to the census, is a little bigger than Las Cruces.Clark cites Richardson’s Mexican roots and years of diplomatic work, in addition to his tenures as energy secretary and New Mexico governor. All that, Clark wrote, adds up to much more than any other potential candidate brings to the table.“The Republicans have John McCain, followed by a cast of lightweights known only to their families and local bridge and poker clubs,” Clark wrote. “The Democrats are a bit better off. Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois is a rising star in the Democrat heavens but has little experience in many areas vital for a sound presidency. Hillary Clinton? Continue Reading

DA Martinez might be headed for higher office

Doña Ana County District Attorney Susana Martinez might seek one of the state’s top two jobs in 2010.State Republican Party Chairman Allen Weh told the Albuquerque Tribune he believes the popular district attorney would make a good attorney general, lieutenant governor or governor. She was one of five rising stars in the party he named.Martinez told me she isn’t interested in attorney general, and said she was asked but refused to run for the office this year. When I told her that leaves the state’s top two jobs as options, she laughed.“My focus is going to be on running for re-election for district attorney in two years,” Martinez said. “That is my only focus right now; however, I’m not closing the door to any possibility beyond that.”Except attorney general, which Martinez said is not as “exciting” a job as district attorney. Regardless, her comments were exactly what you’d expect to hear from someone seriously considering a run for higher office.Martinez is a popular Republican in a Democratic county. Continue Reading

Reporter details FBI probe of government buildings

Many New Mexico Democrats breathed sighs of relief last week when a report by KRQE-News 13 reporter Larry Barker about the FBI probe of government building construction in Bernalillo County didn’t name any current lawmakers.Watch Barker’s full report by clicking here.We’ve known for months that former Senate President Manny Aragon is a target of the investigation, but Barker provided the most thorough report yet on the scope of the investigation.“It could be one of the biggest public corruption scandals New Mexico has ever seen,” Barker said in his report. “Sources confirm bribes, kickbacks, extortion and fraud dogged (construction of Albuquerque’s metro court) from the very beginning.”Those Barker named as being involved in the probe are all “formers” – a former Albuquerque mayor, former metro court judge, former metro court administrator, former district judge. As the promos for Barker’s story ran in the Albuquerque area early last week, several politicos told me they expected a current Democratic legislator from the Albuquerque area to be named as a target of the investigation. That did not happen.Barker laid out details of a widespread plot to take what he said could be millions of dollars. He said Aragon called a meeting with former Metro Court Chief Judge Michael Kavanaugh, now a district judge, and former Metro Court Administrator Toby Martinez several years ago and agreed to support funding for the construction of the new facility.“But Aragon’s support had a price: Kickbacks, cash, under the table,” Barker said.He described “clandestine meetings” and “envelopes stuffed with thousands of dollars in cash that were handed over to Senator Aragon and others.”Martinez, Barker said, received thousands of dollars in kickbacks disguised as phony invoices. Continue Reading

Chavez might run for Senate, if Domenici doesn’t

Albuquerque Mayor Martin Chavez will consider running for the Senate in 2008 if Pete Domenici doesn’t seek re-election.The mayor’s statement to the Albuquerque Tribune further fuels speculation about the 2008 race. Domenici has said he intends to seek re-election, but many analysts doubt the aging Republican senator will have much patience with being a member of the minority party.Chavez told the newspaper that, if Domenici runs again, he will focus on another run for mayor in 2009 or another run for governor in 2010. Chavez ran unsuccessfully for governor in 1998.He said he also might leave public office, and said will support Domenici if he runs again.“If he chooses not to run, that’s an open seat, and I’d have a look at it,” Chavez told the Tribune.He also said he would not consider running for the U.S. House because of the time it takes to gain seniority and because the two-year terms means constant fundraising. Continue Reading

Diaz says she won’t appeal firing

Sonia Diaz, who was fired last week from her job as superintendent of the Las Cruces Public Schools, told the Connecticut Post she won’t appeal, though New Mexico law gives her 20 days to do that.“I’ve got a lot of options,” the newspaper quoted Diaz as saying. She added that she doesn’t know whether she’ll be entitled to a severance package.“I’m not thinking about that. I’m looking ahead,” she said.The newspaper reported on Diaz’s firing because she was a controversial leader of the Bridgeport schools in Connecticut until that district’s board let her go in 2004.Diaz, in the interview, called her firing “a difference of style and opinions.” She also told the newspaper that two men she brought to Las Cruces as part of a transition team, John Marsillio and Clarence Tolbert, won’t stay in Las Cruces.Diaz has refused to speak with me or other area journalists on-the-record about her firing, so her interview with the Connecticut newspaper is the first since the Las Cruces school board made the decision last week. Continue Reading

Martinez admits considering a run for speaker

Amid widespread speculation that Ben Lujan’s days as speaker of the House may be numbered, Rep. Ken Martinez of Grants, the House majority leader, has admitted he may seek the position.“It’s too early to tell,” Martinez told the Albuquerque Tribune in explaining that he hasn’t ruled out a run against Lujan. “All of us are considering what would be appropriate in the House.”House Democrats will pick their leaders on Dec. 18.Lujan has lost some confidence since he made this statement to me a week ago: “My members are evidently satisfied with my leadership, and there will be no challenge,” he said.Lujan told the Tribune several days later that “no one has told me they are planning anything. … I’m pretty confident I have the necessary votes to continue.”Many House Democrats are upset with Lujan because of a $75 million appropriation for the settlement of water-rights lawsuits that he dropped into the capital outlay bill earlier this year without the knowledge of most legislators. They’re also upset about his possible ties to the state housing authority scandal. Continue Reading

Many are dissatisfied with Las Cruces school board

Almost everyone who voted in last week’s non-scientific poll on this site expressed dissatisfaction with the work of the Las Cruces school board.Of 182 voters, 140, or 77 percent, said some or all members of the board should be removed. (Fifty-five, or 30 percent, said some should be removed, while 85, or 47 percent, said all should be removed.) Thirty-three voters, or 18 percent, said the board needs to improve the job it is doing, while nine voters, or 5 percent, said the board is doing a good job.Don’t forget to vote in this week’s poll, located at the top of the right column on this page. Continue Reading

Reasons to be thankful this holiday season

I’m planning to unplug for the Thanksgiving break. I need some time to turn off my computer and recharge myself.I’ll be back on Monday. If anything major happens before then, I’ll try to post an update.I want to leave you with my list of the top five politically related things for which we should be thankful this Thanksgiving:5 – For the first time in recent memory, almost all agreed that this year’s election process in Doña Ana County had integrity and very few problems.4 – Voters gave partisanship a swift kick in the butt on Nov. 7. They booted a number of Republicans on the national level and restored balance in Washington. Continue Reading

Getting House Dems to discuss Lujan is difficult

Democratic representatives from Doña Ana County appear to have mixed reactions to the question of whether Ben Lujan should continue as speaker of the House.I’ve been asking the question all week, following a Monday article in the Albuquerque Journal that reported that a top aide to Lujan has been living rent-free in a home owned by the Region III Housing Authority.It’s the first time Lujan has been publicly linked to the housing authority scandal, and one of many issues with Lujan’s leadership that has some House Democrats upset.When the legislature convenes in January, Doña Ana County will have seven Democratic members in the House – a significant group in the 70-member body.Rep. Mary Helen Garcia of Las Cruces refused to comment this week on whether she supports Lujan, but said she is “disappointed with the headlines about our speaker. We have to have trust in our speaker, and if any of this was taking place behind closed doors, I’m not alright with it.”Rep. Joni Gutierrez of Las Cruces, on the other hand, expressed support for Lujan.“I’m very satisfied with him. I’ve had no problems,” she said. “I’ve been there two years, and he’s all I know. He’s been fine. Continue Reading

Madrid says she may run for governor or Senate

Attorney General Patricia Madrid confirmed what we all suspected – there’s a good chance she’ll run for U.S. Senate in 2008 or governor in 2010.Madrid confirmed such suspicions while conceding the 1st Congressional District race Tuesday, according to the Albuquerque Journal.“I enjoy public service, and I will not today close the door on seeking elective office,” the newspaper quoted her as saying. “I don’t ever want to run for attorney general again, because I don’t believe in going backwards in life. … There are only two statewide races that I think would be higher – and of course that is governor and the Senate.”Though that has long been the suspicion of what Madrid would do next if she lost the congressional race to Heather Wilson, it’s noteworthy that she said it publicly.There’s a lot of posturing going on right now. Gov. Bill Richardson and Sen. Pete Domenici are the giants in New Mexico politics. Richardson is done for good in four years, and many suspect Domenici will bow out before the 2008 election cycle as well.Many politicos are waiting to see how things shake out so they can make their moves. Continue Reading

AG looks into housing authority scandal

At the request of the State Investment Council, the attorney general’s office is looking into the scandal that toppled the state’s regional housing authorities earlier this year.Charles Wollmann, spokesman for the investment council, said the agency asked the attorney general to look into the widespread misuse of $5 million in bonds the Region III Housing Authority in Albuquerque sold to the state, then later defaulted on.“We believe there are some things that merit taking a look at,” Wollmann said. “We’re just investors. We aren’t prosecutors or investigators. … It’s up to the AG to decide whether there is any criminal or civil action to be taken.”Sam Thompson, spokeswoman for the attorney general’s office, confirmed that the matter was referred to the office, which she said has requested additional documents from the investment council.The investment council released in October its report on the operations of the housing authorities – quasi-government agencies charged with providing affordable housing around the state. You can read the entire report by clicking here.The investment council found widespread misuse of the state-owned bonds, including almost $900,000 that went to former Region III Director Vincent “Smiley” Gallegos as salary, benefits and a loan.The scandal ultimately resulted in the closing of housing authorities in Las Cruces and elsewhere and a probable restructuring of the entire system.Perhaps the most intriguing misuse of money revealed in the investment council report was a $300,000 loan the housing authority made to a private company owned by Gallegos under the guise of purchasing more than 30 lots in Las Cruces, even though the properties had already been purchased by the authority.Gallegos repaid the loan, with interest, on July 31, the day before he resigned.The report also found that homes were being sold to investors, in addition to two employees and a board member of the Region III authority. Continue Reading

Wingenroth applying for magistrate; Kennon isn’t

Retired New Mexico State Police Officer Kent Wingenroth has added his name to the list of those who will apply for the magistrate judge vacancy created by the removal of Carlos Garza.Wingenroth, who worked for the state police for 21 years, confirmed he will apply, but said he doesn’t want to comment further during the application process. Wingenroth has applied unsuccessfully for a vacancy on the magistrate court in the past.Former Las Cruces Police Department Sergeant Joel Cano and former Magistrate Judge Maria Rodriguez also plan to apply.Las Cruces attorney Fred Kennon, who was mentioned as a possible candidate and who has applied unsuccessfully for a district judgeship in the past, said he won’t apply.That’s because he’s supporting Wingenroth.“Kent Wingenroth is a fine man and a fair man; with his law enforcement background, he would be an excellent choice,” Kennon told me.Interested candidates must send applications, signed background check forms, résumés and letters of recommendation to Governor Bill Richardson, Attention Legal Division, State Capitol Building, Suite 400, Santa Fe, NM 87501. They must be received by Dec. 2 at 5 p.m. Materials may be sent via e-mail to marcia.maestas@state.nm.us, by mail or by hand delivery.The application and background check form may be obtained by calling (505) 476-2200 or by clicking here. Continue Reading