Vigil jury makeup reveals lack of state government and politics awareness in Las Cruces area

Half of jurors picked Wednesday in the retrial of former state Treasurer Robert Vigil are from Doña Ana County. The group of 12 jurors and four alternates includes six members from Las Cruces, one from Anthony and another from the county, according to an article from the Associated Press that you can read via the Albuquerque Journal. The news is not surprising. It’s no secret that residents of the state’s second-largest city are among the most uneducated about state government and politics. That doesn’t mean people here don’t know about the scandal involving the state treasurer’s office, but they probably know less on average than other residents around the state. Continue Reading

Result of Vigil retrial will impact congressional race

The race between U.S. Rep. Heather Wilson, R-N.M., and Democratic challenger Patricia Madrid could be decided by the retrial of former state Treasurer Robert Vigil. Wilson and the Republican Party have been relentless in their attacks on Madrid, New Mexico’s attorney general, over allegations that she failed to investigate the scandal in the treasurer’s office years ago. Vigil’s first trial on federal charges of extortion, racketeering and racketeering conspiracy ended with a hung jury in May. In June, Madrid announced indictments on state charges against four who testified against Vigil, based on their testimony in the first trial. Republicans said the indictments were politically motivated and might end up hurting the federal case against Vigil. Continue Reading

Richardson orders flags at half-staff for Cano-Garcia

Gov. Bill Richardson has ordered flags to fly at half-staff in honor of former District Judge Silvia Cano-Garcia, who died Monday following a long battle with cancer. Flags have been flying at half-staff outside the district courthouse in Las Cruces all week. Richardson has ordered that flags be flown at half-staff Thursday and Friday. Here’s the text of Richardson’s order: EXECUTIVE ORDER 2006-056 FLAGS FLOWN AT HALF STAFF IN HONOR OF THE HONORABLE SILVIA CANO-GARCIA WHEREAS, The Honorable Silvia Cano-Garcia, age 44, passed away on Monday, September 4, 2006, after a hard-fought battle with cancer; WHEREAS, State District Court Judge Cano-Garcia was born and raised in Mesilla, New Mexico; WHEREAS, Judge Cano-Garcia graduated from Las Cruces High School and went on to earn a Bachelor’s degree from New Mexico State University in 1982 and a law degree from American University in Washington, D.C. in 1987. She was a Fulbright scholar who studied international relations in Germany from 1982 to 1983. Continue Reading

Richardson heading to Sudan to seek journalist’s release from prison

Gov. Bill Richardson will travel to Sudan on Thursday to meet with Sudanese President Lt. General Umar Hassan Ahmad Al-Bashir and urge him to release journalist Paul Salopek and two colleagues on humanitarian grounds. The three were arrested a month ago and charged with espionage, passing information illegally, and writing false news. Salopek, a two-time winner of the Pulitzer Prize, is on leave from his job as foreign correspondent for the Chicago Tribune and was on a freelance assignment for National Geographic magazine when he was arrested. Salopek lives in Columbus, N.M., with his wife, Linda Lynch, who will accompany Richardson on the trip. “Paul Salopek is clearly not a spy. Continue Reading

Armijo creates quandary for Democratic Party

For about an hour beginning at 5 p.m. Tuesday, the political powers-that-be in New Mexico’s Democratic Party were silent. Jeff Armijo had decided to play hardball and just announced he would not withdraw from the state auditor’s race. The secretary of state’s office had told both me and the Albuquerque Journal earlier in the day that Armijo would have to file a signed, notarized letter to withdraw from the race. Then the Democratic Party chair and governor put out statements taking the position that no such letter was required. They said Armijo’s prior public statements and news release were enough. Continue Reading

State officials say Armijo is off the ballot, but a lawsuit could be the next step

Democrat Jeff Armijo recanted today an earlier pledge to withdraw from the race for state auditor, but state officials say it’s too late. Secretary of State Rebecca Vigil-Giron announced late Tuesday that, though Armijo refused to file a formal letter announcing his withdrawal, she considered a news release he put out on Aug. 29 announcing his departure an official notice, according to the Associated Press. “I accepted that withdrawal and the Democratic Party central committee has already been notified they will be meeting to select a candidate,” Vigil-Giron told the Associated Press. “He is not on the ballot.” We’ll see. Continue Reading

BREAKING NEWS: Armijo may stay in auditor race

Democrat Jeff Armijo, who announced last week that he was dropping out of the race for state auditor, has called a news conference for 4:45 p.m. today in Albuquerque. He has until 5 p.m. today to formally withdraw from the race. According to the secretary of state’s office, he has not yet done that, but he must file papers in their office in Santa Fe for his withdrawal to become official. It’s not clear what Armijo is planning, but the state’s Democratic Party put out a news release a few moments ago stating that Armijo plans to stay in the race. “No matter what Jeff Armijo says or does today, he already officially withdrew his name from the General Election ballot for State Auditor a week ago, on August 29, 2006. Continue Reading

Cano-Garcia’s death places another judgeship on the November ballot

The death Monday of District Judge Silvia Cano-Garcia means there will be another judgeship on the November ballot, according to the secretary of state’s office. Cano-Garcia, a Republican, died Monday following a five-year battle with cancer. Whoever fills her position will be the third new judge at the district court in Las Cruces in a year. Mike Murphy was appointed to the children’s court division earlier this year following the resignation of Larry Ramirez. Fernando Macias has been appointed to a new children’s court position, and starts work on Sept. Continue Reading

Polls, polls, polls: Journal surveys show Pearce, Richardson ahead, Wilson/Madrid race tight

The Albuquerque Journal published this weekend the results of several political polls, including one that had U.S. Rep. Steve Pearce, R-N.M., with a huge lead over Democratic challenger Al Kissling. In that poll, which, like the others, was conducted by Research and Polling Inc., Pearce had the support of 54 percent of voters surveyed in the 2nd Congressional District. Kissling had 29 percent of the vote, according to the Journal article, which you can read by clicking here. Most I spoke with weren’t surprised. Pearce’s fundraising dwarfs that of Kissling, and Pearce is the incumbent. Continue Reading

Richardson campaign defends N.H. committee

Last week I reported that Gov. Bill Richardson’s re-election campaign has started a “Richardson for Governor” political committee in New Hampshire. It allegedly exists to be a mechanism for the governor to give money to candidates there and has, thus far, given $2,500 to the New Hampshire Senate Democratic Caucus. I called this a “flagrant” precursor to a presidential campaign. The governor’s campaign wanted to respond. Here it is, unedited: “Governor Richardson’s primary goal is electing Democrats here in New Mexico. Continue Reading

Richardson calls on old friend, seeks American journalist’s release from Sudanese prison

Gov. Bill Richardson has jumped on board with a host of other political leaders and journalists calling for the release of Chicago Tribune correspondent Paul Salopek. Richardson met with Sudan’s ambassador to the United States last week, and says he believes that country will seriously consider releasing Salopek on humanitarian grounds, according to an article from the KRT Wire. Salopek, who is from New Mexico, was arrested last month in the Darfur region of Sudan and charged with espionage and other violations. The Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist was on a freelance assignment for National Geographic. A spokesman for the Sudanese Embassy said Richardson’s meeting with the ambassador was positive, adding that he believes “Sudan will reconsider the status of Mr. Salopek on a humanitarian basis,” according to the wire service. Continue Reading

BREAKING NEWS: District Judge Cano-Garcia dies

District Judge Silvia E. Cano-Garcia died Monday following a long battle with cancer. Cano-Garcia, who fought for years to stay on the bench while she battled the disease, died about 4 a.m. She was 44. She is survived by her husband Reynaldo Garcia and their daughter Marisol. “We were friends since junior high,” said former Magistrate Judge Susana Chaparro. “She’s probably one of the most courageous people I’ve met in my whole life. Continue Reading

Poll: Most think Garza should resign

Most who voted in last week’s poll on this site believe suspended Doña Ana County Magistrate Judge Carlos Garza should resign. Of 177 voters, 145, or 82 percent, said Garza should resign. 17, or 10 percent, said he should not and 15, or 8 percent, said they don’t know. Don’t forget to vote in this week’s poll, located at the top of the right column on this page. Please keep in mind that these polls are not scientific. Continue Reading