Here’s a copy of the GOP lawsuit

The secretary of state’s office issued a statement this morning in response to the Republican Party’s lawsuit filed Wednesday. “Secretary Vigil-Giron believes the Republican Party’s lawsuit is without merit,” it states. “The ballot for the upcoming November General Election has been certified, and she believes very strongly it will withstand any court challenge.” Here’s a copy of the lawsuit filed by the Republican Party: STATE OF NEW MEXICO COUNTY OF SANTA FE FIRST JUDICIAL DISTRICT COURT BARBARA V. JOHNSON ROGER GONZALES, and THE REPUBLICAN PARTY OF NEW MEXICO, Plaintiffs, vs. REBECCA VIGIL-GIRON, New Mexico Secretary of State, And PATRICIA MADRID, State Attorney General, Defendants. PETITION FOR WRIT OF MANDAMUS Plaintiffs, Barbara V. Johnson, Roger Gonzales, and The Republican Party of New Mexico, by and through their counsel CARPENTER LAW, PC (Joshua Carpenter), hereby state: The Republican Party of New Mexico is a major political party in New Mexico, as defined in §1-1-9 NMSA 1978. Continue Reading

GOP sues to get Balderas off ballot, others on

The Republican Party of New Mexico has sued the secretary of state and attorney general, alleging that two Republican candidates were unfairly denied spots on the Nov. 7 general election ballot and that the Democrats illegally placed a candidate on the ballot. At issue is the secretary of state allowing Democrats to place Hector Balderas on the ballot for state auditor and denying Republican attempts to place Roger Gonzales of Mora on the ballot for Balderas’ House seat and Barbara V. Johnson of Albuquerque on the ballot for a district judgeship in Albuquerque. The two joined the party in filing the suit Wednesday against Secretary of State Rebecca Vigil-Giron and Attorney General Patricia Madrid. Since ballots are already being printed, they requested an emergency hearing and will ask a judge in Santa Fe to order that their candidates’ names be placed on the ballot, and Balderas’ name be removed. Continue Reading

Kissling campaign shows signs of life

The campaign of the Democrat seeking to unseat U.S. Rep. Steve Pearce, R-N.M., is showing signs of life. Al Kissling’s campaign recently unveiled several radio advertisements attacking Pearce and Republicans on a host of allegations, including increasing the federal deficit, breaking promises to veterans, failing to get troops out of Iraq, voting for bills that benefit pharmaceutical companies instead of seniors, cutting federal student aid and cutting overtime protection for workers. The ads, which are running on radio stations across the 2nd Congressional District, accuse Pearce of campaigning on “rosy rhetoric” and dodging questions about his record, which, according to the ads, proves he isn’t independent from corporations or the Republican Party. Pearce’s campaign, which is targeting moderate Democrats, claims he has a record of independence. In addition to the radio ads, Kissling has increased the number of public appearances he is making and news releases his campaign is sending out. Continue Reading

Is there a Richardson ’08 staffer in South Carolina?

Former New Mexico Economic Development Department spokeswoman Katie Roberts left her job last week and moved to South Carolina, where she started work Monday with the South Carolina Democrats. The question is whether she’s there to work for candidates in that state or lay the groundwork there for New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson’s 2008 presidential run. Richardson says that’s not the case but, according to the Albuquerque Journal, the South Carolina Democratic Party says otherwise. That state party’s spokesman, Patrick Norton, told the Journal that Roberts’ presence “helps us this election cycle – and it helps the presidential candidate in 2008.” He said it would be valuable for potential presidential contenders to have someone who “knows the lay of the land” in that state. South Carolina became more important in presidential elections when the Democrats’ national party voted last month to move up the date of the state’s presidential primary, which will be held a week after New Hampshire’s. Continue Reading

County elections bureau improving, Ellins says

Doña Ana County’s interim elections supervisor says he has already implemented many changes suggested in the report released Tuesday by the election task force, and morale and operations of the office have improved. The task force found that, in recent years, the office has suffered form high turnover, low morale and a lack of organizational cohesion, which has resulted in a myriad of problems. The report recommends the hiring of a qualified elections supervisor, revision of the office’s organizational structure and the creation of training programs to ensure compliance with state statutes and consistent training of poll workers. Lynn Ellins said in the few weeks he has been elections supervisor, much of that has been done. Some staff reorganization has already taken place. He is conducting employee evaluations, which has not been done in at least a year. Continue Reading

Urge debate duckers to participate in democracy

It isn’t just Gov. Bill Richardson who is ducking debates. As reported in the Albuquerque Journal today, U.S. Rep. Heather Wilson, R-N.M., has accused Democratic challenger Patricia Madrid of avoiding televised debates – which Madrid has done – but Wilson has also declined two non-televised debates with Madrid. Though U.S. Rep. Steve Pearce, R-N.M., participated in one, mid-day debate with Democratic challenger Al Kissling, he has declined any other debates, including an upcoming offer from an Albuquerque television station. Sen. Jeff Bingaman, D-N.M., has agreed to one upcoming televised debate and not yet responded to a challenge from Republican Allen McCulloch for several more. Bingaman has never been one to shy away from debates. Continue Reading

NMSU seeks millions for renovations on Nov. 7

A bond question on the Nov. 7 general election ballot would help New Mexico State University continue its quest to update campus facilities. Bond B would allocate nearly $118 million for capital improvements at state colleges, universities and other schools, according to a news release from NMSU, which would get $22.9 million. “Some of our buildings are 50 years old and must be updated in order to best serve the students,” said Ben Woods, senior vice president for planning, physical resources and university relations at NMSU. The university has worked in the past few years to build new dormitories, update historic buildings and improve athletics facilities. Continue Reading

County won’t halt growth, will study flood issues

Doña Ana County commissioners voted Tuesday against a temporary ban on development in and around arroyos. Recognizing that there have been problems this summer, commissioners did direct staff to study the issue further, according to the Las Cruces Sun-News. Staff will present a report to the commission at its only meeting in December, so commissioners can determine whether they need to change ordinances or policies or improve flood-control infrastructure. Many residents spoke at the meeting in favor of a construction ban, while some in the development community opposed it, according to the newspaper. Commissioner Oscar Vasquez Butler proposed the temporary ban in the wake of this summer’s flooding. Continue Reading

Richardson helping out state Democratic Party

While he’s refusing debates and visiting the East Coast, Gov. Bill Richardson is also trying to help out New Mexico’s Democratic Party. In an e-mail sent Tuesday to supporters, he announced that he’ll give any contribution that comes to his campaign in the next 10 days to the New Mexico Democratic Party. He’ll also match all contributions, up to $25,000, at a 2-1 rate, which means he’ll raise a maximum of $75,000 for the party. Does this mean the party is starved for cash? Or is Richardson just swimming in money? Continue Reading

While out East, Richardson woos national press

Gov. Bill Richardson wooed the national press during a breakfast Tuesday in Washington, D.C. The breakfast, sponsored by the Christian Science Monitor, has already resulted in a couple of positive profiles of the potential 2008 presidential candidate. “… he gave reporters a preview of the distinctive campaign he’d run – and how much he’d differ from likely rival Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York,” wrote Steven Thomma of McClatchy Newspapers. “He boasts a decidedly different résumé. He’s arguably more candidate. And he’s definitely funnier.” The Monitor wrote a balanced article that included this statement: “Although he is running for reelection, Richardson felt confident enough to take time out for a swing through several Eastern states to campaign for Democratic gubernatorial candidates.” Richardson told reporters at the breakfast he is confident Democrats will take control of the House of Representatives and a majority of governorships, in part because of frustration over the war in Iraq. Continue Reading

Elections task force releases critical report

Doña Ana County’s elections bureau suffers from “relatively high turnover, low morale and a lack of organizational cohesion,” according to the highly anticipated election task force report released Tuesday. “The problems have resulted in failure to apply the election code properly, inconsistent training of poll workers, and canvassing delays that have damaged the public image of the election process in Doña Ana County,” the report states. Click here to read the entire report. The highly critical report found problems with almost every aspect of operations and structure of the county’s Bureau of Elections. The task force made several recommendations in the report, including: • the hiring of a qualified elections supervisor. Continue Reading

Richardson to blame for debate falling through

There may not be a gubernatorial debate this year after all because Gov. Bill Richardson doesn’t want a lot of people seeing it. Richardson had tentatively agreed Monday to one debate at Congregation Albert in Albuquerque on Oct. 15, but insisted that the debate not be televised. When his Republican opponent, John Dendahl, wouldn’t budge on the television issue, the debate fell through. Richardson’s campaign manager, according to the Albuquerque Tribune, said Dendahl would launch negative attacks rather than focusing on the issues, and said such attacks would be a disservice to viewers. Continue Reading

Despite glitches, officials upbeat about first launch

Though there were some problems, officials were upbeat about Monday’s launch from Spaceport America. “We inaugurated a spaceport today,” said UP Aerospace CFO Bill Heiden at a post-launch briefing Monday night in Las Cruces. “This was not a perfect flight, but it was an overwhelmingly successful launch.” The day began with a failed transponder – a piece of equipment that helps officials find the rocket after it lands. Fixing that problem delayed the launch more than six hours. The launch itself went perfectly, but the rocket corkscrewed and then veered off course shortly after launch, and failed to reach space. Continue Reading