Lewis: ‘I have restored trust in the treasurer’s office before, and I pledge to do it again’

A guest column was solicited from both candidates for state treasurer. Republican Demesia Padilla’s column will run Friday. By James B. LewisDemocratic candidate for state treasurer Introduction It is my pleasure to introduce myself to the readers of this column and respectfully ask for your vote on Nov. 7. I am a native New Mexican (born in Roswell) and attended public schools in Roswell, Albuquerque and Gallup. Continue Reading

Sheriff hopefuls talk about improving department

Instead of writing about the League of Women Voters forum for candidates for Doña Ana County sheriff, I am providing you with video, so you can hear their own words. The first video is Republican Sheriff Todd Garrison giving his opening statement. The second video is Democratic challenger Ralph Misquez giving his opening statement. The third video is both candidates answering the only question that was asked of them (it was a short forum). Continue Reading

Magistrate judge candidates trade barbs

The Republican candidate in the Doña Ana County magistrate judge Division II race attacked his opponent at Tuesday’s League of Women Voters forum. Republican Steve Foldy said he does not consider Democrat Joseph Guillory an incumbent, even though Gov. Bill Richardson appointed Guillory to the bench four months ago. Foldy, a corporal with the sheriff’s department, said he is more versed in the law than Guillory, who was recently endorsed by the Las Cruces Sun-News. “The Sun-News may not have a good track record when it comes to endorsements,” Foldy said, making a reference to former Magistrate Judge Reuben Galvan, who resigned last year amid rape and bribery allegations. Galvan had been endorsed by the newspaper. Continue Reading

Assessor candidates discuss taxes, tell jokes

The candidates for Doña Ana County assessor revealed stark differences during Tuesday’s League of Women Voters forum. Democrat Gary Pérez, the incumbent, touted years of experience at every level in the assessor’s office, and said his only goal is to do a good job. “I am a candidate who has experience,” Pérez said. “I’m not a politician. I’m a person who cares about that office.” Republican challenger H.F. “Junior” Adams said he is “not a ‘yes’ man” and is the candidate voters should pick if they want ethical government. Continue Reading

County commission candidates discuss growth

Candidates for two seats on the Doña Ana County Board of Commissioners shared their views during Tuesday’s League of Women Voters forum. District 1 Commissioner Oscar Vasquez Butler, a Democrat, said one of his main concerns is getting out of the state-mandated extraterritorial zoning authority, which creates a joint board of the county and City of Las Cruces that oversees development in a five-mile area around the city. “I have a deep concern with being in the ETZ,” Butler said. “I think it’s time we reconsider and the county takes control of its own destiny.” Growth and related issues were the main topics discussed during the forum. Butler, who wants a moratorium on development in and around arroyos, blamed developers for what he called “uncontrolled growth.” Butler’s opponent, Republican John Zimmerman, said there is “some uncontrolled growth,” but said there are other, more pressing issues, and other problems that contributed to this summer’s flooding. Continue Reading

House candidates square off at forum

Candidates for state representative seats in Doña Ana County shared their views during a League of Women Voters forum Tuesday in Las Cruces. There are four contested races, and three representatives running unopposed. In the District 53 race, Democrat Nate Cote said voters should oust his opponent, 12-year Republican Rep. Terry Marquardt. “I believe the people of District 53 deserve better than they are now getting,” he said. “I sincerely believe I can make a difference.” Marquardt said he’s providing leadership as the House Minority Whip that gives voters in his district a unique opportunity. Continue Reading

Dendahl goes on attack during TV interview

Republican gubernatorial candidate John Dendahl used his half-hour interview with the news anchors for KOB-TV in Albuquerque to trash Gov. Bill Richardson, the commuter rail and public funding of the spaceport Tuesday night, according to news accounts. Democratic congressional candidate Al Kissling received hardly a mention in the media, so I can’t tell you a thing about his time. Both got free air time after their opponents refused to debate. Dendahl, according to the Santa Fe New Mexican, thanked KOB for the airtime, to which anchor Carla Aragon said, “It’s a service to the voters,” contrasting statements by the Richardson campaign that a debate that included Dendahl airtime would “tear down New Mexico” and be a “disservice to the voters.” Dendahl took a shot at Richardson’s refusal to debate, according to the newspaper. “I thought that someone who has held public office basically since 1982 would want to debate someone like me who has never held elective office,” Dendahl said, adding that he thinks Richardson won’t debate him because he doesn’t want 2008 presidential opponents to have the video to use in commercials. Continue Reading

Commission considers tax hike for spaceport

Fresh off this week’s International Symposium for Personal Spaceflight and Wirefly X Prize Cup, the Doña Ana County Board of Commissioners will consider Tuesday starting the process of raising the gross receipts tax to help fund Spaceport America. Commissioner Bill McCamley will make a presentation on the spaceport. He will also ask his peers to approve a resolution that supports the creation of a spaceport taxing district and directs staff to draft an ordinance that would take the 1/4 percent gross receipts tax increase proposal to voters. If approved by commissioners Tuesday and with a later vote formally approving the ordinance, a special election would be held on April 3. The last gross receipts tax increase, for public safety, amounted to a 1/8 percent hike. Continue Reading

Republican assessor candidate says his signs were also knocked over

H.F. “Junior” Adams, the Republican candidate for Doña Ana County assessor, says it wasn’t only Democratic signs along Roadrunner Parkway that were knocked over and destroyed during the weekend. Adams said several of his signs were knocked over, but were standing again when I took photographs of the vandalism Monday because he had already been by to put them back up. One of my photos of the vandalism (scroll down to read about it) showed a large sign belonging to Adams’ his opponent, Democrat Gary Pérez, destroyed, with a smaller Adams sign standing next to it. Though no one has accused him, Adams said he wanted Pérez to know he didn’t destroy the signs. “I told Pérez, ‘I’m gonna beat you fair and square,’” Adams said. Continue Reading

Check out Sun-News’ voters guide

The Las Cruces Sun-News finally put online today its voter guide that ran in Sunday’s print edition. You can check out the 32-page section by clicking here. In addition, check out today’s Albuquerque Tribune article on the gubernatorial race by clicking here. And check out the Sun-News’ profile of the House District 35 race between incumbent Democrat Antonio Luján and Republican challenger Lawrence Joy by clicking here. Continue Reading

PRC candidates to debate on radio program

The candidates for the Public Regulation Commission seat currently held by Democrat E. Shirley Baca will debate on Oct. 26. Michael Swickard and I are organizing the debate and will moderate. It will be held from 8-10 a.m. next Thursday on The Morning Show With Michael Swickard, which can be heard throughout much of Southern New Mexico on KSNM-AM 570. The District 5 candidates are Republican Earl Greer and Democrat Sandy Jones, who knocked off Baca in the primary. Continue Reading

Debate duckers lose: Underdogs get free air time

Because Gov. Bill Richardson and U.S. Rep. Steve Pearce are trying to duck debates, an Albuquerque television station is giving their opponents free air time tonight. Republican gubernatorial candidate John Dendahl and Democratic congressional candidate Al Kissling each have a half hour to share their views on KOB-TV. The broadcast begins at 7 p.m. The move comes after Richardson and Pearce declined invitations from the station to debate. Kudos to the station for standing up to politicos who think they don’t have to debate their opponents. This will give voters throughout the state a chance to see their opponents in action. Continue Reading

Polls confirm Madrid’s lead over Wilson

U.S. Rep. Heather Wilson, R-N.M., is now trailing Democratic challenger Patricia Madrid in three recent polls. Earlier this month, a Reuters/Zogby poll had Madrid up 50-40 percent. Now a poll done by SurveyUSA and KOB-TV has Madrid up 53-45 percent, with two percent undecided. The poll, conducted Oct. 13-15, surveyed 800 people. Continue Reading

Pearce has time for speeches, but not debates

Congress has adjourned. U.S. Rep. Steve Pearce, R-N.M., should have nothing to do right now but focus on his re-election. But he declined an invitation from an Albuquerque television station to debate his opponent, Democrat Al Kissling. He also won’t be at tonight’s League of Women Voters forum in Las Cruces, which Kissling plans to attend. You would think, then, that he must be really busy, right? Continue Reading