Republicans picked former Hobbs Mayor Monty Newman today to become the new chairman of the state GOP.
“2010 was a good year for Republicans, but there is still a lot of work to be done,” Newman said in a news release. “I am honored to have earned the privilege to lead the party as we look forward to 2012, and I am committed to working alongside the Republicans we elected in 2009 and 2010 to increase party membership, recruit talented candidates, and ensure we continue to elect Republicans both locally and nationally.”
Newman defeated Nina Martinez, currently the Republican Party of New Mexico’s first vice chair, for the position.
Newman, a realtor, is a former congressional candidate and former vice president of the National Association of Realtors. He had the backing of Gov.-elect Susana Martinez, Congressman-elect Steve Pearce and other GOP officials.
In addition to electing Newman, the GOP’s state central committee also elected the following officers to serve a 2-year term beginning Sunday:
- First vice chair – John Billingsley of Alto
- Second vice chair – Robert Perea of Albuquerque
- CD1 vice chair – Rick Abraham of Albuquerque
- CD2 vice chair – Alice Eppers of Roswell
- CD3 vice chair – Rube Render of Clovis
- Secretary – Peter Shams-Avari of Albuquerque
- Treasurer – Bill Redmond of Los Alamos